If you thought other internet brain teasers were hard — like, finding or the — wait until you try to solve this puzzler.
The latest head-scratching brain teaser is centered around a cartoon campsite image, which came from an old children's magazine. At first, the questions asked seem fairly easy to figure out — that is, until you find out what the answers really are.
To take a crack at the riddle, start by carefully looking at the picture below:
Now, try to answer these questions:
1. How many tourists are staying at this camp?
2. When did they arrive: today or a few days ago?
3. How did they get here?
4. Is there a town nearby?
5. Where does the wind blow from: north or south?
6. What time of day is it?
7. Where did Alex go?
8. Who was on duty yesterday?
9. What date is it today?
Straightforward, yes, but wait until you see the answers:
1. There are four tourists. Four spoons on the picnic blanket and four names on the duty list.
2. They arrived a few days ago. A spider web has appeared between their tent and a tree in that time.
3. They got there by boat. Hint: note the oars by the tree.
4. No, a village is not far. There's a chicken wandering around.
5. The wind is blowing from the south. A flag that shows the wind direction is on top of the tent. (To tell which direction is which, look at the branches — they're normally bigger on the southern side of trees — if you're in the Northern Hemisphere.)
6. It's morning. Take the answer from question five to figure out east and west then work out the time based on the shadows.
7. Alex is catching butterflies. His net is behind the tent.
8. Colin was on duty yesterday. Colin is rummaging through his backpack (marked with a "C."); Alex is catching butterflies; James is taking photos as his tripod can be seen sticking out of his bag. This leaves Peter — then, according to the list, that means Colin was on duty.
9. Today is August 8. According to the list, Peter is on duty, and there is a watermelon — which ripen in August — on the ground.
Don't know about you, but we certainly struggled with this teaser, especially the wind direction and date questions. Even if you did get them all correct, it's safe to say that this is definitely one of the hardest puzzles the internet has thrown at us ... that is, unless you happen to be an expert in tree branch sizes.