Editor's Note: If you're watching The Simpsons, you probably aren't tuning in for style cues. Laughs, sure. A way to zone out? Of course. Your next go-to quote when you do something that proves ? Definitely.
But maybe you should give it a shot. As one writer confesses, it wasn't until FXX aired 522 episodes of the hit show over Labor Day 2014 (dubbing it ), that she realized there were some true decorating gems tucked in that show. Even if you have no intention of painting your kitchen cabinets purple and orange.
1. White kitchens are overrated.
Don't be afraid of experimenting with color—and loads of it.
2. Your sofa should comfortably fit your entire family.
You never know how often you'll all want to squeeze together on it.
3. ...And it should be ready for anything.
From visiting families to shifts in gravity.
4. You won't win friends with salad...but you will improve your kitchen with vegetable-print curtains.
Why, why, why hasn't anyone put that print into production in real life?!
5. You should have a comfortable home office, should you need to work remotely.
...No shame in coming up with ways to make it really comfortable.
6. Don't be scared to make the television the focal point of your living room.
We all know that's the entire reason you have that room. Embrace it.
7. Your home should have an important role in your traditions.
(Even if they're mean.)
8. Never be afraid to DIY ready-made decor or work-issued signs.
Especially if said DIY-ing involves adorable photos.
9. If you have a passion, let it show in your bedroom.
You know, on second thought? Maybe not.
10. Your house should always be ready to host a wedding.
11. It's important that family members share the brunt of housework.
No need for anyone to feel cheated.
12. Everyone needs a no-fail way to get guests to leave when you tire of them.
Hounds are a pretty safe option.
Follow CQ on .