Peas are like little jewels in your freezer — I always have a few bags in there! This spread is delicious, and it can be the base for so many recipes, from the canapé here to an easy soup.
How to Use This Sweet Pea Spread
- Make sweet pea soup! Just add chicken broth and veggies.
- Plate chicken or fish on top of it for a pop of beautiful color.
- Mix it into pasta, adding Parmesan and lemon zest.
- Smear it on a sandwich as a healthy condiment.
- Swirl it with sour cream for a quick dip. Fantastic!
Sweet Pea Spread
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger (use a Microplane)
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons yellow miso
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 pound frozen baby peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
Put everything but cashews, peas, salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until blended. Add the cashews and 1 1/2 cups of peas. Pulse until chunky, then pulse in the rest of the peas to your desired consistency. Season to taste. To make this canapé, dollop the spread on crackers of your choice.
See something here you like? Check out our shopping guide for where to find it.
This article originally appeared in the February 2017 issue of CQ.