To be honest, guacamole has gotten a little blah — it can be more than just avocado, tomato and onion! The actor Chris O'Donnell told me mixing in a little honey is key. I like to take it to the next level by also adding apples, jewel-like pomegranate seeds, whatever you like. You want it to be fun! And gorgeous, of course.
Lulu's Chunky Guacamole
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 5 large ripe avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 apple, diced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
1. In a small bowl, mix the onion, honey, garlic, tomato, cilantro, salt, pepper and Tabasco. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to let the flavors meld.
2. In a medium bowl, mash the avocado into the onion mixture with a fork until it reaches your desired texture. Stir in the lime juice, apple and pomegranate seeds. Serve with your choice of chips — I like parsnip crisps!
This story originally appeared in the October 2017 issue of CQ.